This variant is a hybrid – one player races while the others play by the normal rules and attempt to frustrate the racer.
You will need
- A Monopoly set
- A deck of cards
All rules are as normal for Monopoly with the exception of the following:
- Before the game commences, remove the jokers from the deck and shuffle it thoroughly.
- Each player draws a card, and the card with the highest value is the racer. (Aces count as one; in the event of a draw, both players draw again until one wins.)
- Shuffle these cards back into the deck, and each player who is not the racer draws two cards. These cards determine where the racer needs to land, counting up from the starting corner of each row – all face cards mean the corner at the end of the row. The suits are assigned as follows:
- Spades: the row between Go! and Jail .
- Hearts: the row between Jail and Free Parking.
- Clubs: the row between Free Parking and Go to Jail.
- Diamonds: the row between Go to Jail and Go!.
- Determine who moves first and movement as normal.
- The racer can collect cards either by landing on the spaces they are in, or by purchasing the properties.
- Other players can only collect the cards by purchasing the properties.
- Cards are connected to properties – if the property is traded, the card goes with it; cards may not be traded separately.
- When all the cards are collected, the game ends.
Winning the Game
- The player with the most cards is the winner of the game. In the event of a tie, the tied player who would win under the standard rules is the winner.
Changing It Up
- Play with every player as a racer. In this version, when starting up, the racer also draws two cards.